Nitrile Gloves vs Latex Gloves
With the growing number of material options available in the glove industry, it can be confusing as to which glove is good for what purpose. Though there are distinctive differences between latex gloves and nitrile gloves, which we will discuss, it can also sometimes come down to a personal preference in fit and comfort.
Latex exam gloves are made out of natural rubber. They are a popular choice of protective glove for medical or industrial use. The primary reason people would choose an alternative to latex is because some people suffer from latex allergies. When allergy is not a concern, latex does have a slight advantage with comfort and dexterity over nitrile gloves.
- Latex is a natural processed plant product
- Consistent fit, flexibility and resilience
- Reliable chemical and biological barrier
- Most trusted material
- Some people are allergic
- Costs can fluctuate based on the price of natural rubber
- Not as chemical resistant as other materials
Nitrile exam gloves are made out of a synthetic rubber and are a popular alternative when latex allergies are a concern. Nitrile gloves are the best glove when it comes to puncture resistance. They have also been shown to be more resistant to certain oils and acids than natural rubber.
- Synthetic Polymer that exhibits rubber-like characteristics
- Protein and allergy free
- Much of the same flexibility, tensile strength, and durability as latex
- Superior to latex gloves in providing protection against petroleum-based products.
- Less form fitting
When choosing the appropriate exam glove to use, it is very important and should be done based on where you’ll be using the gloves, what for, allergic reactions, and cost. If comfort, dexterity, and the ease of donning is your top priority, latex exam gloves are your best choice. If you're looking for a more durable glove that resists punctures and has a better chemical and biological barrier, you're going to prefer nitrile exam gloves.
If you need assistance with which glove is better for your needs or have further questions about them, contact us today.